Pages

Wednesday 4 June 2014

Deliciously Rich Vegan Chilli

So after a few days away from home, I’ve been in Germany on a business trip, I returned feeling a little sluggish. I succumbed to the local cuisine which evolved heavily around meat, cheese and bread. I’ve been slowly adapting my diet over the last few months, experimenting in vegan delicacies and reaping the health benefits. Having gone back to my old ways for a few days (which I openly admit I could never fully leave behind) I was ready to focus on super healthy meals again, my body was craving it!

Armed with my beloved kitchen, whom I had missed dearly whilst I was away…even though it was only for two days, I was ready to experiment. I fancied something hearty, a meal that would really fill me up! Rifling through my cupboards I pulled out some tins of chopped tomatoes & kidney beans. So began the start of a vegan chilli.

This chilli is so delicious. It's absolutely packed with flavour. Not only does the cinnamon and cacao powder provide you with an abundance of nutrients it gives this chilli a wonderfully rich flavour.
The recipe below will leave you will a massive portion. Perfect for lunch the next day or to pop in the freezer for a rainy day when you just can't be bothered to cook - to save you reaching for those naughty take out menus.



1 tin chopped tomatoes 
1 tin kidney beans
1 onion
1 glove garlic
1/2 cup of water
1 tsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp raw cacao powder 
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp paprika 
1 chopped red chilli 
1 yellow bell pepper
1 aubergine 
70g brown rice
Salt & pepper
Olive oil

Start off by chopping the aubergine into bite sized pieces - place them on a roasting tray, sprinkle with some salt, pepper and olive oil then pop them in the oven at 180C for about 20 mins.

                       




Chop the onion and garlic and sweat them in a little olive oil. Add all the spices and mix in thoroughly then add the water and stir - it will form a slight paste. Throw in the chopped tomatoes and kidney beans and mix everything together. By this point your aubergine should be lovely and soft. Add these to the pot along with the chopped pepper and chilli. Leave to simmer on a medium heat for about 30 mins stirring every so often. 


                       

Serve over some brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment